An oven is one of the most important appliances in your kitchen. You might not use it every day but we are sure you will face lots of hassle if you see your oven has stopped working. Whether you are baking bread, heating a frozen pizza or baking a batch of cookies, you need an oven. So, when your oven is not working properly or your oven won’t heat up, you need to know some troubleshooting methods to fix it. There are a few problems related to the oven that you might face and here is the step-by-step guide to solving the common oven issues faced by many homemakers.
1. The oven won’t heat up
This is one of the most common issues faced by homemakers when it comes to ovens. If you own a gas oven then the problem might have been caused by a faulty igniter. However, if you own an electric oven, this can be an issue of the heating element. If you see both your gas oven and gas burner have stopped working, then there might be some problem with the gas line, and in that case, you are going to need professional help. You can replace the igniter or the heating element by yourself. Here’s how—
- Turn off the power before you start the process.
- Heating elements are placed inside the oven and you will find the igniter underneath the oven. Use a screwdriver to remove the faulty heating element or igniter when your oven won’t heat up.
- Remove the broiler or the storage drawer very carefully.
- Take away the old igniter or heating element and replace it with the new one.
2. The gas burner won’t light
You can light your gas oven with a match if the electric ignition is not working properly. However, if your gas burner won’t light, you can follow the mentioned steps to resolve the issue.
- First, start with lifting off the burner grate, cap and base.
- Use compressed air or a toothpick to clean the food debris.
- Also, clean the burner grate, burner cap and burner base.
- You will notice a wire connecting the igniter to the module. Properly check if there is any loose connection. Tighten it if you see a loose connection.
The oven is still not working? In that case, you need to seek professional help.
3. The oven won’t heat up to the right temperature
This problem can be related to the temperature sensor, heating element or igniter. The following steps might be helpful when your oven won’t heat up to the right temperature.
- Your oven igniter should not be touching the inside of your oven. Check that first.
- Check if the sensor is functional by using an Ohmmeter. You will notice the resistance is increasing when the temperature of the oven is rising.
- You need to replace the sensor if it is not working.
- When everything is checked and replaced, recalibrate the oven.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Check the temperature every 20 minutes for the next 2 hours and take a temperature reading.
- Adjust the temperature dial of the oven accordingly.
4. The door of the oven won’t shut
Sometimes your oven won’t heat up and you will notice the door is not closing properly. When your oven door is not shutting, it is not at all safe to use. So, you can follow these steps to fix it.
- First of all, turn off the power button and unplug the oven.
- Pull the door straight up to remove it from the oven. If it doesn’t come out, look for screws and use a screwdriver to remove the screws first.
- Check if the hinges are working properly. If not, replace the door hinges.
- Check if the springs are broken and replace the old springs with new ones.
- Replace the silicon or rubber gasket that you will find around the door.
- If the problem is still not fixed, you need to check the door sensor and in that case, you are going to need professional help.
5. The range burner of the oven won’t heat up
The range burners of an electric oven need electricity to heat up. Sometimes the burners won’t heat up properly causing heating issues to your oven. If your oven won’t heat up and it is because the range burners are not heating up, follow the simple steps to resolve the issue.
- Switch the faulty burner with the one that you know is working properly. Simply unplug the faulty one from the burner socket and plug in the one that works.
- If you see the working burner is heating up, then there is some issue with your burner. You need to replace it.
- If the burner is not heating up then you need to check the infinite switch and the socket. Check for any damage there. You might have to replace those.
6. The oven doesn’t self-cleaned
Just like an oven won’t heat up, it is another common issue faced by many people. Here are small tips that might be helpful if the self-cleaning cycle of your oven is not working.
- Ensure that the cycle is being started properly.
- You need to set the timers and the knobs correctly.
- Do not over expect from the self-cleaning cycle. Some large spills inside the oven need manual cleaning.
7. The oven interior lights are not working
Just like other light bulbs, the one inside your oven might go out sometimes. Here’s how you can resolve that quickly.
- Remove the bulb cover first. Usually, you just need to give it a quarter-turn clockwise.
- Pull the old bulb straight out to remove it.
- Use a piece of cloth to hold the new bulb and replace the old one with it.
If your oven won’t heat up still or you are facing some other issue that you are not able to resolve on your own, get in touch with us and our experts will help you. Get in touch with us to know more about our oven repair services.